2022, a Year Well Lived!
Living in Wilmington, NC, I can’t help, but love Michael Jordan and with 2022, almost, in the rearview mirror, I can’t help but think of a popular quote:
“I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
Moving forward into 2023, change is upon us and it’s time to Be Bold! So often, we remember all of the shots we missed and in the coaching world that can mean a lot. As a coach, I have learned that although the knowledge gained from missed shots is important, focusing on athletes’ successes keep us in the game. And we had some great games in 2022!
10 Successes of 2022 (in no particular order)
1. My first Zoom call with all my 60 yr + Rockstar ladies. I came away feeling amazing and more in awe of what we can accomplish together. 5 Rockstars still getting it done
2. Fusion Endurance Coaching’s first Tri Club Team Race. We were small, but mighty! It was really cool to be represented at IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells this year.
3. Making it out of the hospital to watch Susan Shafer conquer #12. Watching Kris Segna cross the finish line at Chatty for #12 on the App and tracking Sara Larson’s IMAZ to qualify for Kona were exceptional highlights for Fusion. It was such a privilege to watch 3 women accomplish their dreams and goals, while going for it and taking opportunities presented to them.
4. Assisting with the formation of the first Youth Tri Club in Wilmington.
5. Helping Angela Leonard get to 4 years of running 1 mile/day. Yes, you read that correctly! Amazing.
6. While it was not technically part of Fusion, it was part of our endurance sport community and having the most successful IRONMAN 70.3 NC ever was remarkable! As one of the largest 70.3’s, this was an extraordinary accomplishment and it was also one of the top for athlete satisfaction. #nothingcouldbefiner
7. Assisting 4 strong athletes to accomplish greatness at the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in St. George was inspiring.
8. Assisting Lenoir Rhyne University, a NCAA program during the summer was an honor. As they searched for a new coach, I welcomed the opportunity to impact collegiate athletes and had a fantastic experience.
9. Coaching 4 pure cyclists (all Women). Fusion has coached some pure cyclists previously, but watching this field of strong women grow has been remarkable. I am proud to be a part of their journey.
10. Our camp weekend in Oakland with my Oakland Tri Club athletes and other athletes in the club was filled with fun, training and camaraderie. What a weekend! Stay tuned, for more camps to come!
What this list does not include are all of the calls, the conversations, the coffee talks, the spreadsheets, the debriefings, the “fastest miles ever”, the PR’s, the training, the friendships built and the dreams accomplished. These are perhaps the most important outcomes of 2022 and the big take aways from 2022. Thank you, athletes, for making these happen.
So where does that leave us for 2023? Well, candidly, in a fantastic position to do even more great things! Here’s a taste of what’s to come for 2023!
1. BE BOLD! We are creating a new kit and focusing on some rebranding for Fusion. We will be bold, big, bright, professional, and so much more.
2. My Grand Masters Women will continue to meet. There is some consideration of possibility opening this small group to others, as we continue to create an amazing community
3. We will hold additional camps which focus on athlete improvement and performance, as well as collaborate and build a stronger triathlon community. Four are already in the works with 2 Swim camps (in Wilmington and Yorktown) already planned, a bike retreat in April and a March retreat working with the Oakland Tri Club.
4. We will build an IRONMAN small group for Fusion’s athletes consisting of every 4-6 weeks meetings to discuss training, nutrition, planning, travel and more.
5. We will continue to improve IRONMAN 70.3 NC. Through this event me and my team are able to have a far reaching impact on athlete accomplishment.
6. And most importantly, we will continue to build stronger relationships and guide athletes towards accomplishing their goals while they improve their lifestyle through endurance sports.
Onward and Upward to 2023 my Rockstars and friends! We know that together we will create an amazing atmosphere for athletic achievement, growth through sport and so much more.